So, I am sitting at my desk working away on some stuff at work, and decided to take a little news break. Unfortunately, that means I got to read this crap:
http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/2010/12/15/20101215phoenix-bishop-st-josephs-hospital.html
There is so much to say about this...so much. I feel like I could rant on almost every sentence, but I will try to summarize. The Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Phoenix has decided that he wants to take away the "Catholic" Status of St. Joseph's hospital, one of the best hospitals in the nation, I might add, because in 2009 the ethics board decided to allow an abortion of an 11 week old fetus to save the life of the mother (who, happens to have other children). As a result of that incident he has also tried to demonize and has excommunicated Sister Margaret, the nun who was on call for the ethics hearing that night, who my family has happened to know for years.
I am going to back up a bit....for those of you who happen to be reading who don't know I am a cradle Catholic. I was born and raised in the church, went every Sunday, religious ed classes, summer camp, grace every night, etc etc. Both sides of my family come from Catholic backgrounds. My Grandfather sat on the financial board of the diocese for years, and used to be a board member of the hospital. I'm not sure my other Grandmother ever missed a Sunday mass....so I know Catholic. I also know that this sort of crap is exactly why as a 30 year old I am no longer a practicing member of the church.
I am so mad right now I can't see straight or collect my thoughts, so I may write again later, but two things are making me nuts.
1. The way Sister Margaret has been demonized is atrocious. The way she has handled herself is a beautiful example of grace, dignity, and strength.
If you have never met her, I will tell you she is funny, smart as a whip, loyal, a good friend, and a dedicated servant to her religion and that hospital.
2. Bishop Olmsted is OUT OF CONTROL. His ego is so out of control it is unbelievable to me. I mean really...some quotes:
"There cannot be a tie in this debate," Olmsted wrote. "Until this point in time, you have not acknowledged my authority to settle this question."
WHAT??? YOUR authority to settle this question. I am sorry, but we do not need your authority to make health care decisions. These should be made by the individual and I don't know maybe by trained medical professionals!!!! I missed the M.D. after your name bish, oh wait, that is right, it is not there.
More...dang, can't copy and paste, but feel free to read this doozy of a letter that he sent to the hospital threatening to take away their status if they don't comply with his demands by Friday.
http://www.azcentral.com/ic/community/pdf/bishopletter.pdf
My favorite part of the letter... the end where he calls himself the "chief shepherd of the Diocese of Phoenix" and basically demands they do what he says. NEWS FLASH BISHOP!!!! YOU ARE NOT GOD.
I know this has been a mish mash of thoughts, but I will end by saying this: In my opinion, the desire of the Catholic church to control the lives of its members, especially its female members is why so many people are leaving the church. There is no room for error, no room for forgiveness, no room for a thought even the slightest bit away from church doctrine. It is disappointing, there are so many good Catholics out there, even great open minded churches like The Casa in Phoenix, but as long as the Catholics decide that people like Olmsted are allowed to be in positions of leadership and power, I am going to stay away. I have my faith and my spirituality, and the God I know does not judge like this, not at all.
I'm now going to sign off and make a call to CHW in support of St. Joe's, its employees and what they do for our community. If you want to do the same, this is the number: (415) 438-5500. Ask for Tricia.
AWESOME POST, Sarah. That is complete and total insanity, which is a "nice" word. (I deleted the other two and tried again.)
ReplyDeleteI respect you so much for your independent thinking and opinions.
xoxo
Thank you for posting this Sarah and for expressing your thoughts. Could not agree with you more. Incidents similar to this happened with a family friend and priest who stood up for others, years ago. :/ Will try my best at spreading support.
ReplyDelete