Monday, October 11, 2010

Getting Outsmarted By a 2 Year Old and Breaking Into My Own House

Thankfully the weather has pretty much stopped sucking here in AZ and it is now bearable to be outside.  That means this past weekend was filled with outdoor activities.  I am sporting both a rocking cycling shirt sleeve and a mean bike short tan line to prove it.

So, on Saturday, I agreed to babysit my 4 month old and 2 year old cousins.  Friday night when I couldn't sleep b/c I was so anxious about my ability to keep them alive and happy I was trying to decide if I had been drunk when I made such a decision.  Turned out I wasn't.  Thankfully my sister was free and she came and helped me take them down to watch Matt ride in the Tour de Fat.  It was a good thing Katie was there b/c I quickly proved to myself that I can only focus on one kid at a time!  After that we went back to Matt's house and had lunch and played with the kids until it was time for them to go back to their mama.

At lunch  I learned a pretty interesting lesson.....that two year old's can count to 3!  Who knew?   Bradley was distracted with all the fun things to get into at Matt's house like trucks and rocks and dirt and climbing out of the back of his chair at the table and was struggling to focus on lunch.  I thought it would be a good idea to bribe him with a cookie if he ate a few more bites of his kiddo ravioli.  3 to be exact.  So, I start feeding him and talking about the cookie and he actually eats...great!  I am a genius!   That is of course until I try to sneak in bite #4, get a finger wagged at me and told "Sarah...no...3 bite...COOKIE!!"  I tried to convince him a few more wouldn't hurt and immediately got shut down as he started pointing at the container of cookies which were in his eyesight....I looked to Matt and Katie for support and got two sets of shrugged shoulders and a "well, you did say three".  Note to self.: 10 is a better number of bites if you don't want a kid to get a sugar rush!  All in all, the kids were great and a lot of fun.  If they are all that sweet and easy, I could probably handle one of my own...someday....when I grow up :-)

Sunday, Matt and I rode our bikes to The Farm at South Mountain for brunch and back.  That place is a must see for all you Arizonans out there if you have not been there.  Although, at $18 each, they are a little too proud of their food.  It was good though.  And, after 21 miles on the bike I was really glad I invested $25 into a pair of padded diaper-like bike shorts. 

In the afternoon I was back at my house and accidentally locked myself out trying to load up some stuff for Goodwill.   Could not get a hold of anyone who has a key and was totally annoyed that I did it, so I tried to think of an alternate way to get in.  Remembered I had the doggie door and decided to go for it.  I managed not to break anything jumping the fence, and after some squirming I made it in the house!  I was quite proud of myself but noted that it was a bit of a tight squeeze in the rear area and I should probably work on that!  As I was crawling in I get greeted by my dogs.  Max decided to "yell" and growl at me for a good 2-3 minutes before he accepted that it was me, and Maggie, who is actually big enough to possibly be intimidating to an intruder ran into her crate crying.  So, pretty much I learned just about anyone can get into my house and my dogs are sucky watchdogs.  Thank God for alarms.

That is about it for weekend adventures for me.  How about everyone else?  

No comments:

Post a Comment